Home

The Old Fishing Station is a former Salmon Bothy that dates back 200 years, it was previously used for the local salmon fishermen and their equipment until the 1990s.
The Old Fishing station was formally run as a B&B but is now a family home with two rooms available to book.

Located just next to the St Cyrus National Nature Reserve and 300 metres from St Cyrus Beach, The Old Fishing Station is an ideal place to stay for those that love nature and the beach.

Rooms are set up with tea and coffee facilities, a flat screen tv/dvd player and an en suite bathroom. A double or a double/twin can either be booked individually or exclusively. A separate shared space is available (with a fridge and microwave) where a light breakfast (Cereals, toast, fruit) is offered.

Rooms

We have one double room and a double/twin with en suites that can be booked separately or exclusively. Guests also have access to a guest lounge where a light breakfast is offered in the morning (tea, coffee, toast).

There is also a guest terrace with a bbq and seating for those summer nights.

Double Room – Bell Rock

Double/Twin Room – Tod Head

The room can be configured as either a double room or a twin room (with small singles).

Family Room

Both rooms connected by a small foyer and can be booked for exclusive use (including the guest lounge).

Guest Areas

Guests can relax in the shared guest lounge (exclusive use if both rooms are booked). It offers seating, a tv, fridge and a microwave. In the warmer months, enjoy a bbq on the guest terrace.

Book a room

Gallery

The surrounding cliffs
The beach at dusk
A flock of birds flying over the nearby countryside
The reserve in winter
The nearby river icing over

History

The Old Fishing Station has formally been known as Kirkside Bothy. The neighbouring area including the cemetery Nether Kirkyard has been known to date back to 1242 and is home to the burial site of the locally known poet George Beattie.

The Old Fishing Station was thought to be built in the early 1800’s and was then situated next at the mouth of the North Esk river until a storm in 1879. The storm flooded the area and changed the direction of the river to go out to the south. It was an ideal location for the local fisherman who used it to store fish, their nets and as accommodation. The Ice House next door was used as storage for the ice. It was run as a Fishing Station until the 1990’s when it was then converted to a family home.

The St Cyrus National Reserve runs adjacent to The Old Fishing Station spans over an area of 92ha and was established as a Nature Reserve in 1962. It welcomes visitors all year around and often hosts events.